Cheryl Strayed was changed forever by her adventure in the WILD, and we want to learn about YOUR transformative experiences in the great outdoors! Post a photo on Instagram or Twitter and use #LifeisWILD and #Contest to be entered to win!
Have you experienced a transformative moment in the WILD outdoors? Tell us all about it! Post a photo of your adventure on Twitter or Instagram (limit one entry per day per person) and use #LifeisWILD and #Contest to be entered to win a fantastic trip to Portland, Oregon, a prize pack from REI, a pair of boots from Danner, and much more!
Entrees will be judged on the following qualifications:
Submission depicts a transformative moment
Submission depicts the wild/great outdoors
Quality of the submission
One (1) Grand Prize Winner will be given:
Round trip airfare for two (2) to Portland, Oregon via Alaska Airlines.
Two (2) nights' accommodations at Hotel Modera
A $100 gift certificate for Nel Centro Restaurant
A private painting class for two at Bottle and Bottega
A $300 voucher to be used for 1 night's stay and dinner at Timberline Lodge
Two night's accommodations at Ashland Springs Hotel
Dinner for two (2) at Larks Home Kitchen (up to $100)
A voucher for two (2) tickets to a Oregon Shakespeare Festival Play
One night's accommodations at Crater Lake Lodge
One (1) REI Midweight Space Dye Zip T-Shirt
One (1) pair of REI Northway Convertible Pants
One (1) REI Revelcloud Hoodie
One (1) REI Half Dome 2 tent
One (1) REI Flash sleeping bag
One (1) REI insulated air sleeping pad
One (1) REI Crestrail Pack 65
Two (2) pairs of Danner mountain cascade boots
* Travel and accommodations are subject to availability and blackout dates.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: The Life is Wild Photo Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least twenty-one (21) years old at the time of entry and who did not purchase any equipment for the purposes of entering this Contest. Employees of Fox Searchlight Pictures Inc., The Oregon Tourism Commission (dba Travel Oregon), HelloWorld, Inc., and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
2. Sponsor: Fox Searchlight Pictures Inc., 10201 West Pico Blvd., Bldg. 88, Room 310, Los Angeles, CA 90035. Administrator: HelloWorld, Inc., One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s and Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning the prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Contest begins on November 3, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") and ends on December 12, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the "Contest Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Enter: During the Contest Period, there are two (2) ways to enter the Contest:
Twitter: Log in to or create your Twitter account. Tweet a photo of your wild/personally transformative experience in the great outdoors along with a short description of your experience (one hundred forty (140) characters or less) that includes the hashtags #LifeIsWild and #Contest (collectively, your “Submission”). Twitter's terms apply. In order for your entry to be valid, your Twitter account must be public and thus viewable by the Sponsor and its agents.
Instagram: Log in to or create your Instagram account, and post your Submission to your Instagram feed. Posting a photo on Instagram requires a mobile device and therefore message and data rates may apply. In order for your Submission to be valid, the "Photos Are Private" option in your Instagram account settings must be set to "OFF" so that your Instagram profile is public and thus viewable by the Sponsor and its agents.
By posting your Submission, you agree that your Submission conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
The Submission must be a size and format acceptable on Twitter and Instagram (as applicable);
The Submission must contain a description that does not exceed one hundred forty (140) characters and includes the hashtags #LifeIsWild and #Contest; and
The Submission's description must be in English.
The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
The Submission must not disparage Sponsor, Administrator or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest;
The Submission must not contain brand names or trademarks other than those owned by Sponsor, which entrant has a limited license to use to incorporate in his/her Submission in this Contest;
The Submission must not contain images or artwork not created by entrant;
The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where Submission is created.
Limit: Each entrant may post one (1) Submission per day during the Contest Period, regardless of his/her method of entry. Submissions received from any person or account in excess of the stated limit will be void. Submissions generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. Entrant must have permission from all individuals who appear in or are mentioned in a Submission (if any) to use their names and likenesses in the Submission and to grant the rights set forth herein. If requested, entrant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor. If any minor appears in or is mentioned in a Submission, he/she must be the entrant’s child or ward. Uploading a Submission constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Submission. Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Submissions; all of which will be void.
In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
6. Winner Determination: After the Contest Period, a panel of qualified judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select the entrant with the highest-scoring Submission (the "potential Grand Prize winner") from among all eligible Submissions based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
Submission closely depicts a transformative moment (50%);
Submission depicts the wild/great outdoors (40%); and
Quality of Submission (10%)
In the event of a tie, the entrant whose Submission received the highest score for “Submission closely depicts a transformative moment,” as determined by the qualified judges, in their sole discretion, will be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner. Sponsor reserves the right to not select a potential Grand Prize winner, if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive any eligible and qualified Submissions.
7. Winner Requirements: The potential Grand Prize winner will be notified by @foxsearchlight via Twitter or Instagram on or around December 16, 2014. Except where prohibited, the potential Grand Prize winner will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Compliance, Liability and Publicity Release, which must be received by Sponsor within forty-eight (48) hours of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim the prize. If the potential Grand Prize winner cannot be contacted, fails to execute and return the Declaration of Compliance, Liability and Publicity Release or provide any other requested information, within the required time period, does not comply with these Official Rules, or prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits the prize. If the potential Grand Prize winner is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up, if any, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Only three (3) alternate winners may be determined, after which the prize will remain un-awarded. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use the winner’s name, city, state, likeness, photo, Submission and/or prize information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Without limiting the generality of these Official Rules, the winner shall irrevocably grant, transfer, convey and assign to Sponsor the entirety of the rights in and to the Submission and all renewals and extensions of copyright, and the right to secure copyright registrations thereto in perpetuity including, without limitation, the rights to use the Submission for any and all purposes in any and all media whether now known or hereafter developed, on a worldwide basis, in perpetuity. The winner accepts and acknowledges that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use the Submission and that Sponsor in its sole discretion shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission. Sponsor shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent Sponsor chooses to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder. The winner will indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) and any licensee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms.
8. Prize:ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: A trip for two (2) to Oregon. Trip package includes round trip, coach-class air transportation for two (2) from a major airport served by Alaska Airlines* near winner’s home (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) to Portland, OR (up to a $3,000 value); two (2) nights' accommodations at Hotel Modera (single room, double occupancy, parking included); a $100 gift certificate for Nel Centro Restaurant; a private painting class for two (2) at Bottle and Bottega; a $300 voucher to be used for one (1) night’s stay and dinner at the Timberline Lodge; two (2) nights’ accommodations (single room, double occupancy) at Ashland Springs Hotel; dinner for two (2) at Larks Home Kitchen (up to $100); a voucher for two (2) tickets to a Oregon Shakespeare Festival play (Ashland, OR); and one (1) night’s accommodations at Crater Lake Lodge (single room, double occupancy, breakfast included). The prize also includes one (1) REI Midweight Space Dye Zip T-Shirt; one (1) pair of REI Northway Convertible Pants; one (1) REI Revelcloud Hoodie; one (1) REI Half Dome 2 tent; one (1) REI Flash sleeping bag; one (1) REI insulated air sleeping pad; one (1) REI Crestrail Pack 65; and two (2) pairs of Danner mountain cascade boots. All sizes will be requested from the winner and are based on availability; sizes and styles of each item will be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Terms and conditions of all gift certificates and vouchers apply. Winner must complete the trip by December 31, 2015, or prize will be forfeited. Trip must be booked at least twenty-one (21) days prior to departure. Travel and accommodations are subject to availability and blackout dates. Travel must be round trip. Sponsor will determine airline and flight itinerary in its sole discretion. The winner and guest are responsible for all costs associated with travel to an airport served by Alaska Airlines. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any flight. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Contest, and those set forth by the Sponsor’s airline carrier of choice as detailed in the passenger ticket contract. All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the package description above, including but not limited to, ground transportation, meals, incidentals, gratuities, passenger tariffs or duties, airline fees, surcharges, airport fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes or other expenses are the responsibility solely of winner. Travel companion must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older as of the date of departure and must travel on same itinerary and at the same time as the winner. Travel companion must execute liability/publicity releases prior to issuance of travel documents. Travel restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply. If in the judgment of Sponsor air travel is not required due to winner’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation will be substituted for round trip air travel at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Sponsor is not responsible if any event is delayed, postponed or cancelled for any reason, in which event that portion of prize is forfeited in its entirety and no substitution will be provided except as in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Approximate Retail Value: $6,862. Actual value may vary based on airfare fluctuations and distance between departure and destination. Winner will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value. Prize is non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prize (or a component thereof) for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use.
*Airfare is valid for flights served by Alaska Airlines flights numbered (1-999, 2000 -2999) or Sky West Airlines flights (3450-3499). Mileage Plan Miles cannot be earned or credited. Stopovers and connections are also allowed (subject to fare rules). Once Sponsor purchases the tickets for the winner, routing and name changes are not allowed. Standard baggage fees apply; see checked baggage policy and flight schedules at http://www.alaskaair.com for more details. Individual travel taxes may apply. Blackout dates may apply. The Grand Prize winner and travel guest are solely responsible for all expenses involved in getting to an Alaska Airlines hub (departure airport).
9. Release: By receipt of any prize, winner agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, The Oregon Tourism Commission (dba Travel Oregon), Twitter, Inc., Instagram, LLC, Administrator and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
10. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winner from among all non-suspect, eligible Submissions received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
11. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions or votes or the tabulating of votes, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (including any travel/activity related thereto). Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of any Submission.
12. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.
14. Winner List: For a winner list, visit http://bit.ly/1tkXtjt. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.